Monday, December 29, 2008

Green Pork Chili


Green Pork Chili
serves 8

1 pound tomatillos (husks removed), washed
2 T. olive oil
4 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs, trimmed and cut into 1" chunks
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 4-oz. cans diced green chiles
1 T. dried oregano
1 large onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed
2 jalapeno peppers, ribs and seeds removed for less heat (I used one because that's all I had)
1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro (I forgot it)
shredded cheddar and lime wedges for serving

In a blender, purée tomatillos until smooth; set aside.

In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over med. high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown pork, 6-8 minutes per batch.

Return pork (with any juices) to pot. Add tomatillos, green chiles, oregano, onion, garlic, jalapenos, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper, and stir. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pork is tender, about 2 hours. (To store, refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.)

Just before serving, stir in chopped cilantro; serve chili with grated cheddar and lime wedges.

(It was more watery than I was expecting, so I served it over cooked rice. Yum.)

1 comment:

Amy said...

This sounds awesome, but I'm a big-time tomatillo fan...it's going on my to try list.