Monday, December 29, 2008

Pasta with Carrot/Shallot Sauce

This is something I really like, and I frequently make it when I haven't planned or shopped for anything because I usually have all the ingredients on hand. It's also quick and easy!

5 or 6 carrots, diced fairly small
4 or 5 shallots, minced (I have used 1/2 an onion in a pinch)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 c. white wine
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
salt
pepper
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
evaporated milk or fat free half-and-half
1 pound fettuccine

Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute the carrots and shallots until they start to get soft and lightly browned. Add the tomatoes (undrained) and the wine. (You can omit the wine if you wish -- it will still be good, but there won't be as much depth to the flavor.)

Simmer until the carrots are just soft (not mushy). Use an immersion blender to puree most of the sauce -- you still want it to be a little chunky (or not, depending on your preference!). If you don't have an immersion blender, just puree 2/3 of the sauce in a regular blender and then return to the skillet. Add the butter to smooth out the sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in the parmesan cheese and maybe 1/4 c. of evaporated milk. (How I love a good rosy-colored sauce!) Serve over al dente fettuccine or angel hair pasta.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you I made this? I loved it and agree that it is the perfect no plan dinner for us because I usually have most of the stuff. Thanks for sharing it so long ago.

crystal said...

Michelle: I love cooking with wine; my pantry is always stocked with red & white. As an LDS person, my babysitters look at me a little strangely when I return home and they've been in the pantry!

However, I need your advice. I'm not very good at knowing how to pick and buy my wines! It's hit or miss. Sometimes I make the sauce, etc, and I want to dry heave because I didn't know how to buy the alcohol.

Advise! Thx.